Father Williams Powers came to Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in January 1909. It was he who laid the groundwork for the construction of the Marquette Catholic School. The building was begun on May 15, 1915; and completed five months later at the cost of $70,000. Monies for the building were received by individual pledges and donations. The building was designed by Holstead & Sullivan, a Duluth firm; the contractor was Bowe-Burke Company of Duluth and Minneapolis.
Marquette School Parish: Holy Spirit Church
1916: September Grades one through six
1917: September Grades one through seven
1918: September Grades one through eight
1919: Spring First Graduation Class – Grade eight
1919 - 1969 June – Grades one through eight
1969 July – School Board Corporation is formed. The school is leased from Our Lady of Lourdes Parish.
1969 September – Grades one through six
1970 May – Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint John the Baptist Parishes merge to form Holy Spirit Parish.
1974 August – Grades Kindergarten through six
1988 Noah’s Nook Preschool program established
2011 Noah’s Nook renamed as Marquette Early Learning Center
Principals of Marquette Catholic School (1916-2017)
|1. Sister Perpetua||8. Sister Madonna||15. Mrs. Margaret Whiteman|
|2. Sister Berchmans||9. Sister Petronilla||16. Mrs. JoErnesta Johnson|
|3. Sister Fabian||10. Sister Jean Theresa||17. Mrs. Cynthia Jindra|
|4. Sister Rosaria||11. Sister Jeremy Lessard||18. Mrs. Marianne Runkle|
|5. Sister Antonia||12. Mrs. Carol Ferris||19. Mr. Allen Kalar|
|6. Sister Cecile||13. Mrs. Maggie Manion||20. Mrs. Georgia Brown Epp|
|7. Sister Garvase||14. Mrs. Beth Haines||21. Mrs. Jean Virant|